Saturday, May 27, 2017

Cherry Pie with Sourdough Crust

I made my first pie in ages because cherries are in season. Well, actually, I made it because I wanted to try this pie crust recipe using my sourdough starter - and because I wanted pie. I don't really need a reason though, do I?



My neighbor and I are sourdough sistas. We heart sourdough. 😍 She's been making pies using her sourdough starter for the past year or two. I finally gave it a try this week and have fallen head over heels for this pastry.




The recipe I used from Cultures for Health requires a good amount of fat. I used mostly butter with a little shortening.



The result is a super flaky, almost puff pastry like, texture. It doesn't taste like sourdough, but it does still give you all the benefits of those healthy little microbes. They break down the structure of the wheat flour so that it's easier to digest. Good for the gut. 👍



The dough ferments in a warm place for seven hours. Then it gets refrigerated for at least 4 hours until cold. That's how it turns out so flaky. All those fabulous chunks of cold fat melt and create the layers of pastry that give you that delicate, buttery, lightly crunchy mouth feel.



I have to say, it isn't a very pretty dough. The baked pie isn't very pretty either. I tried a batch of pastry where I tried to break down the fat a bit more, but there's just such a high fat to flour ratio that it really didn't make much difference.



Yay cherries! We love cherries up in here. I had to swat hands away as I prepped cherries for pie and jam. I got this cherry filling recipe from Sally's Baking AddictionThe little bit of almond extract she calls for is just wonderful.



Dotting the pie filling with a little bit of butter is a technique I've never understood but always followed. Just do it.



The pie bakes up a little monstrous. What it lacks in beauty it makes up for in deliciousness.

You'll need a sourdough starter for this recipe. If you don't already have one, you can start your own using instructions from King Arthur Flour. The process takes several days. You can also purchase one online or ask a friend who already has one. People with cultures love to share. Then you can chat about sourdough recipes and become sourdough sistas - or brothas - or whatevas.


Cherry Pie with Sourdough Crust
(See Cultures for Health and Sally's Baking Addiction for original recipes)

INGREDIENTS
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1/2 cup shortening, cold and cubed
1 cup sourdough starter
4 1/2 to 5 cups pitted cherries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold and cubed small
1 large egg
1 Tbsp milk

DIRECTIONS
1. Prepare your sourdough pastry by combining 2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1 Tbsp sugar.
2. Cut in 1 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening using a pastry cutter until you have big chunky crumbs.
3. Add sourdough starter a little at a time, stirring with a fork, just until dough starts to come together. This may take a cup, or less, or a little more. I know, vague, right? I ended up using about 3/4 of my cup. As soon as your dough starts clinging together, stop adding starter. (Quick note: Not adding enough starter will result in a dough that is hard to roll out and difficult to work with. In that case, use a generous amount of flour when rolling out. It won't fix the problem, but it will help.)
4. Once dough comes together, cover with plastic wrap and place a clean kitchen towel on top of that. Place in a warm place to ferment for 7 hours. I use my microwave with the oven light on low.
5. Then, refrigerate the dough for 4 hours or until cold.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Prepare your filling by combining the cherries, 1/2 cup of sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, and almond extract in a medium bowl. Toss to combine and let sit to marinate while you roll out your dough.
8. Divide your cold dough in half and roll one half out on a floured surface. Line a standard pie plate with the dough and trim the edges.
9. Scoop your cherries with a slotted spoon into the crust leaving most of the liquid behind in the bowl. Dot filling with 1 Tbsp cold cubed butter.
10. Roll out second half of your dough and place on top of your filling. Trim the edges and tuck them in under the bottom crust all the way around. Crimp your edges with your fingers or a fork or whatever technique you like to use.
11. Place pie in freezer for 5 minutes.
12. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg and 1 Tbsp of milk to make an egg wash.
13. Brush pie with egg wash, cut slits on top to vent, and bake on a baking sheet to catch any drips for 20 minutes.
14. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake another 30 to 35 minutes. If crust is getting too brown, cover with foil.
15. Let pie cool for 3 hours at room temperature. When pressed for time, stick it in the fridge.
16. Revel in your sourdough awesomeness!!!


2 comments:

  1. That pie looks DELICIOUS!
    I am amazed at how much the crust rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I don't think I can make it look prettier without changing the recipe. Gonna have to settle for deliciousness on this one. Ha!

      Delete