Saturday, March 18, 2017

The Stir-fry of Your Dreams

I used to hate stir-fries. Sad mushy veggies and over-cooked meat over a big bowl of too much boring rice. Blah. No bueno. Why I ever kept trying is beyond me. But it paid off eventually.

Over the years I've stumbled upon some tips and tricks that have turned me into a stir-fry genius. You can be one too. 


Tip #1

Cook your meat(if using) and veggies separately. When you cook them together one or the other, or both, will end up over-cooked. You want a screaming hot pan for the meat and then the veggies, so reheat to screaming hot with additional oil after the first cooking.



Tip #2
Keep those veggies crunchy. Make sure your veggies are dry before adding them to your hot oil and cook them until they just start to brighten and the texture still has a good amount of crunch, and not a moment longer. You don't want your fork to slide into them easily when poked. If you think they look raw they may very well be perfect. If you think they look cooked they are over-done.


They're just about done here


Tip #3
Toasted sesame seed oil. This is the stuff dreams are made of. Use about 1/2 to 2/3 parts olive oil and the rest toasted sesame oil to add a depth of flavor and richness to your stir-fry that will make your heart sing.

Tip #4

The sauce. Of all the sauces I've tried, both homemade and store-bought, Kikkoman stir fry sauce is the best there is. If you find one you think is amazing let me know. I think my heart will always beat for you Kikkoman. You are the KING of stir fry sauces! No, Kikkoman is not paying me to say that. But I'm open. You listening Kikkoman?

Tip #5

Ratios. This may be a personal preference, but stir-fry always tastes better to me with a 1 to 2 ratio - 1 cup of rice under 2 cups of stir fry. I used to serve it the opposite way and always ended up with plain rice at the bottom of my bowl. What was I thinking?



The Stir-fry of Your Dreams

INGREDIENTS
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seed oil, divided
1 lb chicken or beef(or tofu that has been thoroughly, thoroughly drained in layers of wrapped paper towels), cut into bite-sized chunks
salt and pepper to taste
a dash red pepper flakes
4 cloves of garlic, minced
6 to 8 cups sliced veggies (I like to use broccoli, cabbage, celery, onions, peppers, carrots, and mushrooms in various combinations)
1 bottle Kikkoman stir fry sauce
1/3 cup peanuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS
1. Season your meat with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil and ½ Tbsp toasted sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat until screaming hot. Dump in meat, brown, and cook until just cooked through. Remove from pan immediately.
3. Reheat pan with remaining oil over high heat until screaming hot. Add red pepper flakes and garlic and cook for a few seconds. Then add veggies and cook until they just start to brighten. You want them to stay pretty crisp.
4. Add the meat back in and about ½ to ¾ bottle of stir fry sauce. Also add the peanuts, if using. Cook for another minute.
5. Remove from heat.
6. Serve over a small bed of rice or noodles.


Sauced and sprinkled with peanuts


Can you tell my pictures are getting better? I'm practicing. 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment