Wednesday, April 5, 2017

What's for Dinner? Hungarian Mushroom Soup

There is no better soup. Seriously! I am a big fan of soup. I have many favorite and treasured recipes that I may share with you some day when I am feeling charitable. But this one. Oh this one. This one if my very favorite. The flavors are amazing. It is rich and creamy and mushroomy and loaded with paprika. Try this soup, and if it isn't the very best you've ever had, I'll give you 5 dollars. Ok, I won't really give you 5 dollars, but I'll question my friendship with you.



I fortuitously came across this recipe on Pinterest. (Thank you Pinterest!) The original recipe is from Adventures in Cooking. I changed it, of course, cause that's how I roll. I pretty much adjust every recipe I come across and adapt it to how I stock my pantry.

One of the things that makes this soup so flavorful is the way the onions and mushrooms are cooked down.




The onions cook down for 5 minutes. You want to see them start to turn brown. That's flavor right there.



The mushrooms get added to the onions and cook down with the seasonings for 15 minutes.



After the cooking time the mushrooms will be much darker and full of flavor.




The soup is thickened and taken to new heights of creaminess with a white sauce. On top of that, a cup of sour cream is stirred in at the end.

If you ever thought it was possible to die in a bowl of soup your suspicions will be confirmed with this recipe.

Hungarian Mushroom Soup
(Original recipe from Adventures in Cooking)

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, diced
4 8 oz packages of brown mushrooms (cremini/baby bella), washed and thinly sliced
4 tsp smoked paprika
3 tsp salt
½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 tsp dried dill
½ tsp thyme
½ tsp marjoram
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4 cups chicken broth, maybe more
6 Tbsp butter
½ cup gluten free all purpose flour blend (or flour)
2 cups milk, maybe more
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup sour cream

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes until they start to turn brown.
2. Add mushrooms, seasonings, soy sauce, and 1 cup of stock. Cook on medium low for 15 minutes. The mushrooms will look quite dark.
3. While the mushrooms are cooking down make your white sauce. Melt butter in a medium saucepan on medium low heat. Whisk in flour and cook for about a minute. Slowly whisk in milk and cook on low until your sauce looks creamy and thick. (If using gluten free flour you may need to add ½ to 1 cup more milk.)
4. Add the white sauce to your mushroom mixture along with the lemon juice and 3 cups broth. Cook covered on very low heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Turn off the heat and wait until the soup stops bubbling, then stir in the sour cream.
6. If your soup is too thick you can add in more chicken broth to get the consistency you like. I often add another cup or two.



1 comment:

  1. Nanette, my friend....Soup Season is NEVER OVER. Never. This soup sounds beyond divine. I remember the day you nearly died in it, and I'm glad you lived to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete