Friday, April 7, 2017

What's for Dinner? Low Carb Turkey Meatloaf

I know it may not seem like it with all the cupcake recipes I post, but Matthew and I really are on a lower carb diet. I say lower carb because we still eat certain carbs, like potatoes and gluten free pasta. Matthew's down 10 pounds and I'm almost down 20, so we're doing something right. My next challenge is lowering our whole family's sugar intake. More on that later.

When you're trying to get a good shot and even use a pretty bowl and your egg runs off to the side. Arg.

Meatloaf is pretty easy to make low carb - it's mostly ground meat after all. This turkey meatloaf recipe originally called for bread crumbs. I used a seasoned almond meal mixture that I use for "breading" chicken and fish. It worked out terrific.


I served our low carb meatloaf with roasted potatoes and carrots. We can't kick all carbs to the curb.

Low Carb Turkey Meatloaf
INGREDIENTS
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup seasoned almond meal (see recipe below)
1 cup chopped spinach
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/8 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 large eggs
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with olive oil spray.
3. Combine all ingredients, except ketchup, in a large bowl and hand mix. Form into a loaf and place on your baking sheet.
4. Bake for 25 minutes.
5. Coat top and sides with ketchup and bake another 10 minutes.


Seasoned Almond Meal
(Original recipe from Paleo Running Momma)

INGREDIENTS
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 scant tsp basil
1 scant tsp oregano
1/8 tsp thyme, crushed
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

DIRECTION
1. Stir all ingredients together and store in an air-tight container. 

* I use this recipe in place of Italian bread crumbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment