Saturday, May 6, 2017

What's for Dinner? Frozen Pizza and Cocktails

Some nights I am just done. Sunday nights are usually that way. We often go grocery shopping that day - with all three kids - after church - and after lunch at a restaurant - with all three kids. We must be crazy.

When we get home, I put Nora down for her nap while Matthew unloads the groceries and the boys wander around aimlessly. We are all tired at that point and making dinner is the last thing I want to do.

Soda for the boys, cocktails for Mama and Daddy.

Enter in my beloved Freschetta gluten free frozen pizza. We can easily take down two of these babies now that the boys eat 2 to 3 slices each. Nora can take down a piece as well. It's one of her favorite foods. 

I doctor one pizza for Matthew and I by adding sliced onions and jalapeños, sometimes pepperoncinis - whatever I have on hand. We also love to throw them on the grill. The pizza tastes like you cooked it in a pizza oven. Just set your grill to about the same temp you would cook your frozen pizza in the oven and cook it for about the same time, maybe a little longer. Keep an eye on it.



This past Sunday the hubster and I needed a little "encouragement" after a really long day so I juiced the last of my pink grapefruit and whipped up one of my favorite cocktails to go with our easy pizza dinner. Ordinarily I would use spiced rum for this recipe, but since I was out, I subbed white rum and a few dashes of some lovely cardamom bitters that my neighbor made.

We enjoyed this no fuss meal out on our deck. The weather is so fine in the evenings. Fresh air, a cool breeze, dinner on a picnic table without any frills or napkins, and a charming fresh little cocktail to help us let go of the cares of the day. Sayonara stress. See you on Monday.




Pink Grapefruit & Honey Cocktail

INGREDIENTS
the juice of 3 large pink grapefruit, strained
3 oz honey simple syrup, maybe more (recipe follows)
3 oz spiced rum, maybe more (or 3 oz white rum and a couple of dashes bitters)

DIRECTIONS
1. Shake with ice or stir together and refrigerate until cold.
2. Taste and add additional rum or simple syrup according to your liking.
3. Serve over ice.
* Makes about 4 cocktails.


Honey Simple Syrup

INGREDIENTS
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup honey
2 cups water

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium pot and heat on low until sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently.
2. Cool completely and store in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment