Tuesday, August 1, 2017

What's for Dinner? Easy Skillet Chilaquiles

Any wet burrito fans out there? If you've never had one, a wet burrito is essentially a burrito covered in enchilada or chili sauce. I say all that because chilaquiles are basically wet nachos, and you all know how I feel about nachos. 😍

Easy Chilaquiles Ingredients

My version is the cheater's version. Cheater, cheater pumpkin eater. Yeah, that's me. In the traditional version you start by frying corn tortillas until crisp. Very delicious, but too much work for this busy mama. My easy version starts with a bag of corn chips instead. 

easy chilaquiles starts with browning onions

This dish almost all happens in one pan. I slice up two medium onions and cook all but 1/4 cup of them until they're tender and starting to turn brown. I like using both cooked and raw onions in these chilaquiles. I loooooove me some onions.

This dish requires a bit of multitasking. While the onions are cooking I work on frying up some eggs in another pan.

Enchilada Sauce and Onions for Easy Chilaquiles

When the onions are ready I throw in my sauce. It warms up pretty fast.

Corn Chips, Sauce, and Onions for Easy Chilaquiles

Then, I throw in my chips and toss them in the sauce until they're mostly coated.

Cotija and Fresh White Onions Atop Easy Chilaquiles

The raw onions and some grated Cotija get sprinkled over top.

Fried Eggs Top These Easy Skillet Chilaquiles

Lastly, I top with the fried eggs I've been working on. Quick, easy, and super tasty - just like dinner should be.

I like to serve this dish with guacamole salsa and sour cream.


Easy Chilaquiles

INGREDIENTS
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium white onions, thinly sliced
1 7 oz bag corn tortilla chips
1 10 oz can enchilada sauce
1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
6 large eggs
guacamole salsa and sour cream for serving

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook all but 1/4 cup of the onions until soft and starting to turn brown.
2. Meanwhile, warm another skillet and start frying your eggs.
3. When the onions are ready, pour the sauce over them. It should bubble up right away.
4. Pour in the whole bag of chips and toss them with the sauce and onions.
5. Sprinkle on the raw onions and the Cotija cheese.
6. Top with the fried eggs.
7. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Easy Skillet Chilaquiles

2 comments:

  1. OMG! This looks so good! In out of town right now but plan to make this for James and I when I get home! I love that it's so easy!

    ReplyDelete