Monday, October 23, 2017

Keep'n it Simple: Let's Talk Wardrobe

Some of you may remember the Twenty Pieces Project that I tried out a few years ago. You can read more about it here.

Here's the gist. I picked out 25 pieces of clothing to wear for a year, got rid of everything else, and committed to not buying any other clothes unless I had to replace one of my 25 items. Pajamas and workout clothes didn't count in the 25 pieces. Neither did jewelry, shoes, or other accessories, but I decided to pare those down as well. Okay, let me tell you, folks. It was awesome! Getting dressed was so easy. Laundry was better too.

I've known for a while now that getting back to something like the Twenty Pieces Project was something I needed and wanted in my life. Life is hectic. Laundry is insane. I loathe digging through piles of laundry never put away (more on that at a later date) and finding nothing but ill-fitting, hole-baring clothes that make me seriously consider becoming a nudist. No, not really. But can you feel my pain?

I'm not gonna commit to not buying clothing for a year. Although, as little chance as I get to go out and buy clothes, I might as well. What I have done is make some space in my closet - and my life. I've gotten rid of over half of my wardrobe in hopes of a simpler life, less laundry (let's cross our fingers on that one), and an easier time putting something on in the morning.

I'm no fashionista, but I wanted the clothes that I kept to look good on me, not be out-of-date, and were items I didn't have to adjust all day. Comfort is also important to me and played a big part in my decision making process.

a stack of denim bottoms next to a stack of solid and printed colored tops


I narrowed down my pieces to 31.

Here are my basics (I just love lists like this!):
12 tops
5 jeans
2 shorts
2 cardigans
2 sweaters
2 jackets
3 dresses
2 maxi skirts
1 snow jacket

I made sure the pieces I kept were items I like, fit well, and don't have holes. Well, one of my sweaters has a hole in it, but I'm planning on replacing it soon... er than later. My shorts also have holes, but those are mostly on purpose.

a pair of boots, leopard flats, polka dot flats, black embroidered slip ons, and brown sandals in a circle
These are the shoes I regularly wear out of the house.


I've also pared down my footwear based on what I wear most often (house shoes not included). In addition to what's pictured, I have a pair of rain boots, a pair of sneakers, a pair of hiking shoes, and two pairs of dress heels that don't get used very often but are needed when they're needed. I hate items like that. What can ya do?

a plate of 7 pairs of earrings
I pared down my earrings based on what I wear the most often.


After that, I tackled my jewelry drawer and only kept what I regularly wear (apart from some sentimental pieces I don't wear but keep in a jewelry box because of where or who they came from).

different colors, patterns, and textures of clothing organized in a sort of color wheel


I'm a big fan of basic colors with pops of pattern and texture. Most of my pieces are denim, gray, navy, black, or tan and brown. Many of my scarfs and blouses boast bright colors and patterns. It makes for great mixing and matching.

Here are what I call my "throw ons" that go over whatever I have on when I need an extra layer:

a brown cloth jacket, a grey cable knit sweater, a tan wrap sweater, and a brown leatherette bomber jacket hanging


Here are some of my "go to" outfits:

a black bird printed blouse, orange cardigan, light colored jeans, and a dainty white gold and opal necklace


sheer black lacy blouse with jeans and a long floral gold necklace



gray and cream lace top with dark jeans and a gold and pearl layered necklace



striped navy blouse with orange cardigan, dark jeans and rose gold long heart necklace



olive colored shirt with a black printed maxi and long gold floral necklace



a floral maxi dress on a hanger with a long heart necklace


Wow, this feels so good!

I'll let ya know how it goes throughout the next several months.

Here's to simpler living and happier dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment