Monday, October 16, 2017

What's for Dinner? Our Favorite Chili

'Tis the season for chili, y'all.

There are so many great chili recipes out there. I like to experiment now and then. I even have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to different recipes I want to try. So many chilis, so little time.

Our Favorite Chili is the perfect fall dinner.



Our Favorite Chili recipe is the one I love best and cook most often. It's a pretty basic recipe, but tried and true. I developed this recipe based on what I like in my chili and have fine-tuned it over the years. I'm partial to ground beef, a variety of beans, and petite diced tomatoes.



I stick to my basic recipe every time I make this chili. The only thing I vary is the peppers. Sometimes I use a couple of deseeded jalapeños instead of the bell pepper. If I don't have fresh peppers on hand, I dump in a small can of green chilies.



I start off by browning my ground beef in a dutch oven. Then, I remove the beef with a slotted spoon and dump out any excess grease. Next, I cook up my onions and peppers.




The veggies get cooked until soft and beginning to turn brown. Then, I lower the heat, dump in the garlic, and cook for another minute.



After that, everything gets dumped in - including the cooked meat.



I bring the pot to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, and cover. I like to occasionally stir my chili to make sure my heat is just right and the bottom isn't sticking.



After 30 minutes, I taste the chili and add in more salt or spices as needed.

I usually serve this chili with our favorite gluten free cornbread recipe from Make the Best of Everything. I love that there's no special flour in this cornbread - just pure corn meal.

Cook up a pot of Our Favorite Chili!



My favorite way to eat this chili is to load up my bowl with shredded sharp cheddar, sour cream, and green onions, set my cornbread on the side, and walk around eating wherever I want. I usually end up on the couch or the porch if we're not sitting down to family dinner. No need for a drink or a salad or a napkin - just me and my bowl. I love eating that way.

I love cooking up Our Favorite Chili in a large cast iron dutch oven.





Our Favorite Chili

INGREDIENTS
1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, diced
1 large bell pepper or 2 deseeded jalapeños, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
1 15 oz can black beans, drained
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
2 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
a scant 1/4 tsp paprika
a scant tsp salt
shredded sharp cheddar, sour cream, and sliced green onions for serving

DIRECTIONS
1. In a dutch oven, heat 1/2 Tbsp olive oil over medium high heat.
2. Brown the meat. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and dump out any excess grease.
3. If necessary, add in another 1/2 Tbsp olive oil. Cook onions and peppers until soft and onions are starting to turn brown.
4. Lower the heat and add in garlic. Cook another minute.
5. Add in the meat, tomato products, beans, and seasonings. Stir together, raise heat to high, and bring to a boil.
6. Lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Taste chili and adjust salt and chili powder as needed.
8. Serve with shredded sharp cheddar, sour cream, and sliced green onions.

Our Favorite Chili Pin

No comments:

Post a Comment