Monday, May 1, 2017

Baked Eggs 2 Ways

Matthew and I are still rock'n the low carb over here. Needing some more variety in the egg department I pulled out an old recipe for Italian Baked Eggs that I got from Damn Delicious a few years ago. These are my favorite versions.



In this pesto version, your baked eggs will only be as good as your pesto. I really like Costco's pesto from the refrigerated section. I used to have an Italian roommate who had an Italian grandmother who would send her jars of homemade pesto and marinara. My roommate was generous. Yes, I was a lucky girl. Costco's refrigerated pesto has a similar flavor to that heaven-sent homemade one.



My absolute favorite version of this dish is made with sun-dried tomato pesto and crumbled gorgonzola. You have to try it.



Also, if you aren't eating low carb, this dish is perfect with crusty bread. In a pinch, toast will do.



Pesto Baked Eggs
(Original recipe found at Damn Delicious)

INGREDIENTS
1 ramekin
olive oil spray
2 Tbsp pesto
2 large eggs
salt & pepper to taste
1 to 2 Tbsp shredded Parmesan

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Lightly spray your ramekin with oil spray.
3. Spoon in pesto and gently spread evenly.
4. Break your eggs over the top.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to your liking.
6. Top with shredded Parmesan.
7. Place ramekin on a small baking sheet to catch any dripping oil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Check after 10 minutes. Mine are usually perfect at 12 minutes.



* Substitute sun-dried tomato pesto and gorgonzola cheese to make my favorite tasty version.

No comments:

Post a Comment