Thursday, June 8, 2017

Slow Down Fast Mode Mama

Mom's have about a million things to do in a day, especially if they have a baby in the house. I often feel like a hamster on a hamster wheel running as fast as I can and getting no where. As soon as I'm done with one thing it needs to be done all over again. Dishes are totally that way - and laundry. Oh, laundry.

I do everything fast. I eat fast, cook fast, clean fast, pee fast. TMI? Sorry. Any other mamas out there living in fast mode just like me?

On the inside, I feel like I'm in a mad dash - a race against time - a race against my kids - a race against my messy house. My head is spinning. My heart is spinning. I'm not even always aware that I'm in that mode. But when I am aware of it, I can't stand it.

I've been trying to be intentional about slowing the heck down. I try to slow down when I'm washing the dishes or cooking dinner. I love cooking. I really should be enjoying myself. I try to walk calmly down the hallway instead of bolting down it to get to the next task I have to do. It'll still be there when I get to it. Believe me. I try to take my time in the bathroom instead of racing like there's no tomorrow. So what if the kids get into the granola bars while I'm in there and I come out to an empty box and granola bar wrappers strewn all over the whole house, and they're too full to eat lunch. At least I don't have to make lunch.

It isn't easy. Try eating slowly when your baby is fussing to be picked up and you end up scarfing down lunch standing at your kitchen sink with her in one arm and a sandwich or quesadilla in the other. I've spent many a lunch at that kitchen sink (sigh).

Still, I have to try - for my own sanity. Sometimes it seems impossible to slow down, but it always feels good and right to try. It's a small way that I can be kind to myself that has big impact on my overall experience of the day. It also helps me to be more chill with the kiddos.

Trying to enjoy cooking up some skillet lasagna. Recipe coming soon.

Mama slowing down is a total win in our household. Do I really get more done in fast mode anyway? Probably not. And even if less is getting done, a calm and happy mama is more important than a thoroughly clean bathroom or dinner being ready on time. Tomorrow truly is another day, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment