Tuesday, July 11, 2017

What's for Dinner? Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken

This is my favorite BBQ chicken recipe.



I prefer this roasting method over grilling. When I want to grill my chicken, I usually use my BBQ rosemary lemon chicken recipe. But when I have a hankerin' for BBQ sauce, I pull out this tried and true treasure.

The chicken gets brushed with BBQ sauce every 15 minutes and ends up sporting a thick BBQ sauce glaze. The oven heats up the house a bit, but it is well worth a few beads of sweat.



First, score your chicken pieces a couple of times.



Next, mix up your marinade: BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.



Marinate your chicken for at least 4 hours. You really want to get that flavor in those babies.



When it's time to cook, spray a foil-lined baking sheet with oil spray, lay down your chicken, and brush both sides with more BBQ sauce.

Every 15 minutes, take out the chicken, and brush both sides again with more BBQ sauce. You'll do this about 4 times.

oven roasted BBQ chicken

When the chicken is done, it will be quite tender and glazed to perfection.

I usually serve this chicken with mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, or potato salad. When I'm making this dish for guests I throw in some cole slaw and cornbread too. A little sweet tea wouldn't hurt either. 😉


Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken

INGREDIENTS
12 chicken legs and/or thighs. (I like the picnic pack that gives you 6 of each)
2 bottles BBQ sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp hot sauce

DIRECTIONS
1. Score each chicken piece twice in the fattest part of the meat going down to the bone.
2. Mix 1/4 cup BBQ sauce with the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Place chicken in a large Ziplock freezer bag and pour in the marinade. Zip closed with as little air as possible and massage marinade into chicken. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil lightly with oil spray.
5. Place chicken on pan, discarding the marinade. Brush each piece with additional BBQ sauce on both sides.
6. Roast 15 minutes and brush each piece again on both sides. Repeat this process 3 more times.

oven roasted BBQ chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment