Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Patriotic Cake Topper

This Independence Day is gonna be a fun one at the Loverbee's. I'm trying out a new red, white, and blue dessert that I'll be sharing with y'all soon. I also made some cake toppers to decorate my scrumptious treat.







These patriotic cake toppers aren't just for cakes. They can be used on all kinds of desserts, including trifle (hint, hint). 

I've included my template at the bottom of this post for those of you that would like to print and use. For those of you interested in making your own cake toppers, I've laid out my process below.

For this project you'll need:
- a computer and printer
- cardstock
- a black Sharpie
- patterned/colored paper for the back of your toppers
- colorful paper straws or skewers
- a glue stick
- scissors
- a scanner to reproduce/share



I started by printing out my phrases in a pretty font. I used card stock to ensure my topper didn't turn out flimsy. I downloaded some patriotic patterns for the backing and printed those out too. Scrapbook paper will also work great.



I drew a boarder around my phrases with a black Sharpie. You could definitely be more elaborate. I just kept it simple.



Next, I placed the patterned paper behind my phrase so that the white parts of both papers were facing each other. I cut around the boarder I drew being careful to hold on tightly to both papers so that they both cut exactly the same. You want them to match up when you glue them together over the straw.




I used cute and colorful paper straws to hold up my toppers. I taped down the straw onto the back of the phrase, then covered the back with glue. I placed the patterned paper white side down over the straw and sealed it all up as evenly as possible. You can trim away any uneven white edges with scissors.

If you want your toppers to be reproducible, scan the pieces into your computer before you glue them together. 

Here are my templates:







Happy party planning, and stay tuned for my red, white, and blue dessert coming soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment